- 8oz ground pork (or beef/chicken/plant based)
- 14oz firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing wine (or Sherry)
- 2 tablespoons fermented spicy bean paste
- 3 tablespoons Mr Bing Chili Crisp, well stirred
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 5 green scallion tops, sliced thinly
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add canola oil and allow to heat for 30 seconds before adding ground meat or vegan substitute and fry until it starts to brown.
- Meanwhile, bring 1.5 quarts of water to a simmer with 1 tablespoon of coarse salt.
- Once simmering, add cubed tofu, remove from heat and allow to sit in hot water until ready to use.
- Once meat is browned, turn heat down to medium, add ginger and sauté about 30 seconds.
- Add wine and scrape the bottom of the pot, then add bean paste and chili crisp and saute another 30 seconds before adding soy sauce, sugar, stock, and cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat.
- Drain tofu from seasoning water and gently stir into the sauce.
- Serve over white rice with scallions sprinkled on top.